From Sarasota, Florida, USA:

I am a 40 year old female diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about five years ago. I took oral agents until about four months ago when my hemoglobin A1c was 12.0%, and since I have lost 20 pounds over the past six months, I asked to go on insulin. My endocrinologist thinks I may have been allergic to the protamine in both 30/70 and 25/75 insulins so I am now taking Lente and Regular. I am unable to find much about this problem; can you help?

Allergic reactions to insulin are quite uncommon. When they occur, the reaction is maximal at the insulin injection site. To confirm the diagnosis, skin testing is required. Otherwise, it is a best guess as to the cause of a reaction.