Question:

From Sarasota, Florida, USA:

I am a 40 year old female diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about five years ago. I took oral agents until about four months ago when my hemoglobin A1c was 12.0%, and since I have lost 20 pounds over the past six months, I asked to go on insulin. My endocrinologist thinks I may have been allergic to the protamine in both 30/70 and 25/75 insulins so I am now taking Lente and Regular. I am unable to find much about this problem; can you help?

Answer:

Allergic reactions to insulin are quite uncommon. When they occur, the reaction is maximal at the insulin injection site. To confirm the diagnosis, skin testing is required. Otherwise, it is a best guess as to the cause of a reaction.

DTQ-20010406022955B