From Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA:

I'm 29 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for 27 years, and two months ago, to reduce lows and give me more flexibility, I switched to a regimen of Ultralente at dinner time, and Lispro with each meal. I like this system, and am having good blood glucose readings with it. My problem is that I starve between meals. My dietitian has given me a meal plan with additions for activity (I'm incredibly physically active), and but I'm finding that my postprandial readings are usually in my target range, but if I eat a snack, my readings are high before meals. Any suggestions?

You may want to talk about between-meal snacks. You can add these to your daily intake of food and cover them with lispro (Humalog). This will keep your sugars in good shape prior to larger meals and help with the hunger issue. The biggest issue is the possibility of weight gain. This has to be individualized. If weight is a problem, you will have to work on other activities to keep your mind off food.

Posted to Daily Care and Meal Planning, Food and Diet