From Australia:

I have typeá1 diabetes, and I am taking Mixtard insulin and have been adding more Actrapid to it. How long can I keep the pre-mixed insulin in the same vial? I would like to try NovoRapid with Mixtard. Would this be okay? How long can I keep it in the same vial?

I read your letter and thought about it many times before arriving at the decision that nowadays is no longer ethical for us as diabetologists not to try to advise people with typeá1 to leave the premixed regimen, especially if you add Regular or any analog (Humalog or Novorapid), and switch to an intensified basal/bolus insulin regimen. Ask your diabetes team for further help. I hope you will make the change soon.

If you add short-acting insulin to the pre-mix, you should inject the 'de novo' mixture as soon as you mix up the two components.