From Henderson, Texas, USA:

I am 10 years old and have had diabetes for three years. My endocrinologist has recommended that I may want to start using an insulin pump. I would like to find out more about the pump, and I have a lot of questions. Does it hurt when it is inserted? Can you feel insulin when it is injected into your body? How do sleep at night without it coming out or buttons accidentally being pushed? I would like to talk with others that have this pump.

It's great that you want to get a lot of information to help you make this decision. Since your doctor has suggested the pump, you have a great resource on the Internet. Visit the MiniMed, Disetronic, and Animas websites, and look for Kids and Teens sections in which you will find answers to your questions and an opportunity to see stories and experiences from other kids on the pump. Also ask your doctor if there are other kids in his practice on the pump. Talking to some of them may be a big help.

[Editor's comment: You might also want to visit the Insulin Pumpers website. I'd also suggest that you and your parents read Is pumping for you?. There's also a Pump Users Chat Room at our website about pumping. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps