From Bonanza, Oregon, USA:

My 11 year old son has always reacted to sugar by becoming extremely hyperactive. He has displayed ADHD symptoms for years, although not officially diagnosed. His symptoms include his inability to focus, follow-through, or remember things. I have been able to keep somewhat a handle on him by keeping sugar to a low and giving him a good diet, which has been very difficult because he severely craves sugar.

Within the last few weeks, my son has had two episodes at school during which he felt hot, dizzy, and his heart raced. He said he actually lost sight in one eye during the episode. I have experienced several episodes like this myself (without sight loss) and figure they are caused from low blood sugar. I immediately took my son to the clinic where they performed a hemoglobin A1c which was 5.4% (Normal less than 5.7%). My father's side of the family is full of diabetes, although not juvenile diabetes, so this concerns me. Should I be doing anything to assure it stays normal beside cutting out sugar? Could I have been confusing ADHD with hypoglycemia or diabetes? What are his chances of this being a precursor to diabetes?

Your son does not have diabetes. Dietary manipulation will not change the likelihood of developing typeá1 diabetes but weight control and exercise will make typeá2 less likely.