From Gladwin, Michigan, USA:

I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I am on a restriction of a 1500 calorie diet daily from breakfast to midnight snack. Can anyone help me find recipes to make this easier and a little less frustrating?

Although it can seem at first as if everything about your food choices must change because of your diabetes, it's actually not the case. The more of your favorite and usual foods you can learn how to fit into your new eating plan, the higher your chances for long term success. In the bargain, it will probably be less hassle and more comfortable.

Ask your dietitian how to count and portion your usual recipes and food choices. Eating as many of the same things as possible, perhaps in more controlled portions, should be the mainstay of your program to manage diabetes. If you don't have a dietitian to help you with this, or to supplement the information you might get from such a person, try a website such as Cyberdiet which has a free utility for calculating the nutrition content of your current recipes.

For new recipes, you can try the American Diabetes Association website. You will also find that many magazines that feature recipes, including the common women's magazines, include nutrition information with their recipes. Weight Watchers' materials are also quite compatible with your 1500 calorie eating plan. There are also a number of cookbooks centered around diabetes in just about any bookstore. Also look on this website for reviews of some current cookbooks.

Good luck. Remember that food is an important part of an enjoyable life. It's not necessary -- or even very smart -- to give up everything you love because of your diabetes. If it's too hard or unpleasant, you'll just give up the fight eventually. You just need good information on how to fit what you want into your plan.