Question:

From Lafayette, Indiana, USA:

We know two Hispanic families nearby with overweight children with abnormal black skin on their necks. The pediatrician said it was a risk for diabetes. I'm interested in prevention of type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents. Are there any data regarding how to prevent type 2 diabetes in families at risk?

Answer:

The black skin on the neck that you're referring to is likely Acanthosis Nigricans, which is a dermatological disorder present in association with endocrine diseases (such as diabetes, obesity, pituitary tumors, or Cushing's disease). It is characterized by brown, velvety hyperkeratotic patches in the body folds.

I would encourage you to read more about Type 2 Diabetes in Children on this website.

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

I agree that the darkening of the skin likely is acanthosis nigricans. It often is present in persons whose blood sugars are relatively resistant to the effects of insulin and therefore make large amounts of insulin. This often seen in the Hispanic, African-American, and Pacific rim (e.g. Samoan) populations. The high insulin levels are associated with the acanthosis nigricans. The insulin resistance often leads to type 2 diabetes.

The mainstay to prevention would be dietary -- weight loss or weight maintenence.