Question:

From Marion, Ohio, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes, and when I was in the hospital, they also said that I had an aortic insufficiency (a leak in one of my heart valves). I have been having some chest pains which are not really bad, but like a sudden pain, here one second, gone the next. Could my heart condition be getting worse? What else could it be?

Answer:

Moderate to severe aortic insufficiency could cause increased stress on your heart and cause chest pains and decreased exercise tolerance. You need to discuss your symptoms with your physician with the goal of identifying how severe this problem is.

[Editor's comment: Aortic insufficiency is not associated with diabetes. WWQ]