From Milford, Delaware, USA:

My five year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes several weeks ago and she has asthma. She is accepting treatment and diet very well, and we are doing her all that has been suggested. However, her sugars remain highly variable. I am concerned that her asthma and her medications for it are making her diabetes more difficult to control. Do you have experience or information that may help us?

Asthma medications can complicate treatment. When your daughter has an asthma flare, she has likely used steroid medications such as Prelone, Pediapred or prednisone. These medications can easily result in higher blood sugars. Inhaled steroids such as Flovent and Azmacort are less likely to have a dramatic effect on blood sugars. Your daughter's pediatrician should be able to give you some good advice for keeping her asthma under good control and limiting the frequency and dosing of any steroids. Routine medicines for asthma like Albuterol should not have a significant effect on blood sugars.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Your doctor advises using steroids, at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]