Question:

From Maryland, USA:

At what age do teenagers generally "graduate" from seeing a pediatric endocrinologist?

Answer:

That is a hard question. You must understand that diabetes and the relationships forged by years is often difficult to break. I really regret seeing most of my kids grow up, just like my own children. It is what is supposed to happen, but most parents are sorrowful to see it happen.

Many adult endocrinologists, and I am being a bit prejudiced here, seem to be busier to me with really sick patients. The heart disease and other problems of older people keeps them busy. A late teen with "teen" problems isn't as high on the priority list. I keep kids through college. We have a great university here and many students with diabetes. The adult endocrinologists prefer we follow them. I think each young person must think about his/her needs and talk with the team about meeting those needs.