Question:

From Yreka, California, USA:

My nine year old son has brown raised patches on his neck under his ears that i have been trying to wash off with no success. I read an article that indicated that these patches could be associated with insulin levels. Can you point me in the right direction?

Answer:

There is a skin disorder that can be associated with type 2 diabetes called Acanthosis Nigricans. It looks like brown velvety skin and occurs in skin creases usually in the neck and armpits. Your son's pediatrician should be able to help you determine what his rash is, and if it associated with any other disorder.