Question:

From McCleary, Washington, USA:

I recently got put on NPH and Regular insulin shots twice a day, because my doctor is trying to see if taking insulin will possibly prevent type 2 diabetes in me. Is this possible?

Answer:

I know of no research into prevention of typeá2 diabetes by giving insulin. I do know that there is a project of the NIH, the Diabetes Prevention Trial for Type 1 or DPT-1 trial, in which insulin is the specific intervention.

For type 2, the Diabetes Prevention Program (at the Diabetes Monitor). intervenes with diet, exercise, and, for some, the drug Glucophage [metformin]. So, I can't answer the first question based on any research. I have given the research as I know it. You might ask whether your doctor is thinking of typeá1 or type 2. If your doctor is thinking of type 1, has he looked at islet cell antibodies, etc? These are increased in those predisposed to type 1 diabetes a lot of the time. For type 2, has he looked at C-peptide, a measure of insulin secretion? That might be helpful.

DTQ-20010409155742A