Question:

From McCleary, Washington, USA:

I recently got put on NPH and Regular twice a day, and I've noticed that it is painful to inject the insulin into my abdomen and thigh. Could this be a side effect of the insulin?

Answer:

Insulin doesn't usually hurt unless is it cold. Hold the syringe and bring it to body temperature before injection. Are you allergic? Rarely people are, and some get hives or other reactions.

[Editor's comment: You may be injecting too deeply. Put the needle at about a 45 degree angle to your skin before inserting it. Talk to a diabetes nurse educator about your technique. SS]

DTQ-20010409155742C