Question:

From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:

The long-term effects of repeated hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) are well-documented. What are the long-term effects of repeated episodes of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)? I've been told that repeated lows in children under the age of five could cause cognitive brain damage that is not detected until their teenage years. Is there any information on this? Are there long-term implications for adults who suffer repeated lows?

Answer:

I have taken the liberty of doing a search from the National Library of Medicine. The abstracts do document in my mind the risks of hypos.

The policy I follow as I treat children is to prevent the hypos. We now have better technology (multiple doses of insulin, pumps, and access to ways to monitor better) to help us.

I don't have literature data on your adult question, but I do know that immediate and short term cognitive changes occur in adults.