From Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada:

Last week, my 38 year old husband (who is in good health), had really bad stomach pains and went to the doctor and his blood sugar was 7.1 mmol/L [128 mg/dl]. We found out yesterday he has type 2 diabetes. We are waiting to go to a diabetes clinic in our town. Could his stomach pains be caused by the diabetes?

I really doubt that your husband really has diabetes. Only proper studies can help to clarify the diagnosis. The fist step is repeat the blood sugar level, and perhaps check for antibodies (islet cell, GAD, and anti-insulin antibodies). Then he should have a glucagon test to explore his residual endogenous insulin secretion.

A blood sugar level of 7.1 mmol/L [128 mg/dl] is highly unlikely to have caused his stomach pain.