Question:

From Washington, USA:

Although I don't have diabetes, I've noticed that my glucose levels will rise to high levels for no apparent reason. One night my meter read 231 mg/dl [12.8 mmol/L] and I thought something was wrong with my meter, so I used another one and got the same reading. My reading also seems to go high when I've been exercising for a long time. This doesn't happen often, but it seems unusual.I've not had any symptoms of diabetes, but have had impaired glucose tolerance before. Is it possible for reading to go so high when there is nothing wrong?

Answer:

Since you have had impaired glucose tolerance, I really think you might be at high risk to develop diabetes if your blood sugar level reach levels as high as 231 mg/dl [12.8 mmol/L] for any reason whatsoever, even though you do not have symptoms. Ask your doctor for a prompt laboratory evaluation.

[Editor's comment: Paradoxically, exercise can raise blood sugar levels in situations where there's not adequate insulin available. Hence, it's usually advised that patients with known diabetes do not exercise if their blood sugar is very high. In this case, I agree with Dr. Songini, that medical attention is very appropriate. WWQ]

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA