From Michigan, USA:

I am 16, have had type 1 diabetes for three years, and my hemoglobin A1c is 8%. My average sugar for breakfast, lunch, and bedtime is 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L], which I'm content with, but it averages 240 mg/dl [13.3 mmol/L] at dinner time, often going above 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]. I'm on three shots daily (significant amounts each time), and if I increase the lunch time Humalog shot, I tend to run low around 3:00 pm.

My doctor is not very supportive. He is willing to let me run high (and is satisfied with it) for fear of hypoglycemia, and every time I see him, I hear a 20 minute lecture on why I should go on the pump. I've researched this and decided I'm not interested. Is it commonplace for endocrinologists to push the pump since it is becoming more popular? However, I'm very good at telling when I'm low and am willing to deal with a low once in a while in order to bring my dinnertime sugars down and thus maintain better control. Any suggestions?

I can see why your doctor is pushing the insulin pump. It allows for easier fine-tuning of insulin does to avoid the problems you describe, and I expect he doesn't see another way to make it better. However, I am sensitive to your decision and that of others who feel the same way.

Posted to Insulin Pumps