Question:

From Hoover, Alabama, USA:

I have noticed that my 11 year old daughter will become emotional and distraught late in the afternoon. She will occasionally cry uncontrollably, cannot complete a homework task, and frequently complains of a headache during the course of her crying. Up until now, we have passed this off as just a headache from crying, but we have now noticed a pattern. This awful, terrible world she was living in before supper mysteriously disappears after supper. This scenario doesn't seem to happen any other time of day. We have ruled out the homework gremlin because it happens when she is playing. Just all of a sudden, she is out of control.

Now we suspect hypoglycemia. She is overweight for her age and is not an active child unless pushed into an activity. We don't eat by the rules, but we do try to concentrate on a somewhat healthy diet. I have plans to take her to see her pediatrician, but I would also like feedback from you.

Answer:

I doubt that this represents hypoglycemia or any problem related to blood sugars. Your daughter's pediatrician should be able to help you sort out this puzzling behavior.