Question:

From American Fork, Utah, USA:

My two and a half year old son, diagnosed with type I diabetes about 18 months ago with severe DKA and a glucose level of 1,250 mg/dl [mmol/L], has recently developed a heart murmur, and an emergency room doctor said it was probably diabetes related. We have kept his blood sugar levels under the danger zone for him, and I am concerned. Is this doctor right or should we see his diabetes doctor about this?

Answer:

I know of no data that connects diabetes and a heart murmur. I expect it was either something he had before, or it is an innocent murmur that we don't hear until later in life most of the time.

[Editor's comment: It is not uncommon for children your son's age to have what are as functional murmurs. These are usually benign and are outgrown with age. If you are concerned, I would ask your son's pediatrician for a referral to a pediatric cardiologist. SS]