Question:

From Surprise, Arizona, USA:

A family member, who is in her early 50s and has had type 1 diabetes for many years, says that she feels better when her sugar levels are high. She gains too much weight and feels terrible when the sugar levels are normal. I'm 37 and also have type 1, but maintain tight control and feel great. I told her to take her insulin and let her body adjust to normal levels. She has an appointment to see an endocrinologist.

Answer:

I agree with you. She is not doing anything to prevent microvascular complications when she lets her sugars run high.