Question:

From Connecticut, USA:

With fetal cell research under so much controversy, why can't stem cells from umbilical cells be used? I am hard pressed to find what objections could be made from using cells which will be discarded. With umbilical stem cells, there is absolutely no harm to a child or mother.

Answer:

I showed your question to our stem cell expert, and the answer is that umbilical cord tissue is not a source of stem cells To make everything more complex, you need special cells called endoderm stem cells to replace islet tissue.

Posted to Research: Cure