Question:

From New York, New York, USA:

I need to get private insurance since the cost of my diabetes is out of reach. I know private insurances are expensive, but I found that looking for the right insurance plan is time consuming and can be frustrating. Do you know which private insurance plan is good for someone with diabetes in the NY Metro area?

Answer:

I would go with a plan your present doctor participates in so you don't have to switch doctors. There are so many variations of each plan, you have to study them all yourself. Things to consider are: Do you have to first pay any money before the plan starts paying ("deductible")? How much do you pay per visit? Do you need referrals from a primary care doctor to see a diabetes specialist? How much do they pay for prescriptions and supplies? Do they pay for dietitians, and for diabetes education?

Posted to Insurance/Costs