Question:

From Corona, California, USA:

My four year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for about a year, and I am breast-feeding my seven month old son. I have read a lot about a possible connection between cows' milk and diabetes. Would you recommend that siblings of children with diabetes be put on soy milk rather than cows' milk?

Answer:

The data are not in yet, but I know of no data to suggest soy milk might have any increase in risk for diabetes. I would use soy instead of cow's milk. I know of no reason not to, but I do worry the data may show a link for cow's milk. The best choice is the one you took, to nurse your baby.