From Oxford, Mississippi, USA:

My 23 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 18 years, and I found out last year she is a drug addict and an alcoholic. I need to know the repercussions. She has been in rehabilitation, and I have done everything else for her, but nothing helps. I just want to know what she has to look forward to in the future, if anything.

This is a very open question. It sounds like her short-term prognosis is dependent on how she responds to rehabilitation for her substance abuse. Her long-term prognosis is not good unless she takes care of herself in that she is at risk for diabetes-related complications. Additional issues include the inability to differentiate low blood sugars from the intoxicating effects of alcohol. It sounds like she will need the love and support of a lot of people around her.

Posted to Behavior