Question:

From Jacksonville, Florida, USA:

I think my three year old would do well on a pump, but I am not getting anywhere with his doctor who says he has to be older. Is there a specific age at which he would be pump ready? Is it just up to the doctor to determine when she thinks he would be ready?

Answer:

What is your son's hemoglobin A1c? Does he have a problem with overnight hypoglycemia? See many of the previous answers we've all made about small children on insulin pumps. The key issue is parental education about monitoring, carbohydrate counting, and insulin kinetics as well as the rationale for using the pump.

Posted to Insulin Pumps