From Laguna Woods, California, USA:

My wife was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, has a low tolerance for pain, and she cannot stand the sight of blood. She refuses to do the fingersticks on herself to check her blood sugar, and she will not let me do it. Can you advise me what I can do about this problem? Do you know where I can find a diabetes support group near to where I live?

I think you are in luck as there is a large group of diabetes educators in your area that will be able to support you and your wife on this challenging diabetes journey. You can call the American Association of Diabetes Educators at 1-800-TEAM UP 4 for a listing in your area.

As for blood testing, new models are now out that take less blood, can be used on the arm or other sites and cause much less pain. You might want to discuss with an educator the newest models (FreeStyle, One Touch Ultra, and SOF-TACT) with an educator which might be easier for your wife to handle.