Question:

From Nassau, the Bahamas:

I am taking a 75/25 mix in the morning with breakfast, Humalog for dinner, and NPH at bedtime. If my sugar is very high in the afternoon, should I give myself a shot or two of Humalog?

Answer:

This problem can be addressed several ways. If the blood sugars are high after lunch, then adding a Humalog dose at lunch may help. If the blood sugar is okay after meals, but rises later (after two to three hours), then the morning long-acting insulin might be increased. The latter is more complicated because you are taking a mixture. You may have to go to mixing different insulins, rather than using the commercially mixed product. Please discuss these options with your physician.