From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

I am a 26 year old male who has had type 1 diabetes for over 13 years, is on a pump, and have begun training to run my first marathon. Where can I find information on the affects of prolonged periods of exercise and diabetes? Could you recommend any books to read ?

The Diabetic Athlete by Sheri Colberg and Edward Horton is a valuable resource. This book addresses the physiology of exercise in the person with diabetes, as well as providing sport-specific guidelines and suggestions for adjusting insulin dosages and carbohydrate intake around exercise. Insulin pump adjustments are also discussed.

In addition, you may find membership in the Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association - DESA (formerly the International Diabetic Athletes Association Association) to be a great resource as well. DESA has chapters throughout the USA and internationally. Its members with diabetes participate successfully in all levels of fitness and sport, including marathons and triathalons.

Best of luck to you in your training and marathon endeavors!

Posted to Exercise and Sports