From Many, Louisiana, USA:

I'm 33 years old, female, have gained 15 pounds in the last three months, and had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy. I went to my endocrinologist because I had frequent urination. I assumed I had a urinary tract infection (UTI) because I have a history of them (though I don't remember ever having such frequent urination except when I was pregnant). I also have slightly abnormal low TSH, but my doctor is unsure if I have a true thyroid problem or not.

The doctor did a blood sugar by fingerstick which was normal, but my urine test showed a little blood, etc. plus some glucose. My doctor thinks I have diabetes instead of a UTI. I now have to monitor my blood three times a day and go back to him in a week.

For the last two days all blood levels have been normal. Could glucose in urine be a fluke? What other test might he order? Is it possible to have an endocrine disorder that is affecting both my thyroid and glucose?

Diabetes should not be diagnosed using urine testing, but it is a good way to zero in on the problem. The diagnosis should be made by drawing a blood test. If a fasting level is greater than 126 mg/dl [7mmol/L] or greater that 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] on two separate occasions, a diagnosis of diabetes can be made. An oral glucose tolerance test, during which you drink the glucose liquid, can also be used to diagnose diabetes.

It is possible to have a false positive glucose level in the urine.