Question:

From the United Kingdom:

My husband looks at me with disapproval if my blood sugars are above normal, and I have tried to explain it is not only because of eating something I shouldn't have, it could be because of illness. Can you please confirm that high blood sugars are not only because a patient has eaten something which is high is refined carbohydrate?

Answer:

What you have stated is absolutely correct. High blood sugars result from a complex interaction of hormones, activity, insulin dosing, and environmental conditions. It is not the case that high blood sugars are solely caused by overeating.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA