Question:

From Greenville, North Carolina, USA:

I am 44 years old, have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I have recently been put on a diabetes medication (Glucovance). By mid-day my blood sugar starts to drop, and I experience symptoms of hypoglycemia. My problem is I don't usually feel hungry at this time. Can you recommend,some healthy snacks that would help raise my blood sugar, and keep me from gaining excess weight?

Answer:

You are having an experience that is not uncommon for people taking medicines that increase the amount of insulin in your body. Glucovance is a combination of a sulfonylurea (glyburide) and metformin Each of these has been available separately for many years, but this is a new combination.

You have asked about snacks to avoid getting low blood sugars in the afternoon, but you don't need or want to gain extra weight. I would have to suggest that rather than add food to avoid low blood sugar, you might discuss with your physician changing your medicine to only the metformin (available generically, or as sustained-release Glucophage XR) and see if your blood sugars stay in target range, but you avoid the hypoglycemia. If this is not possible, and food is the answer to avoid low blood sugars, I would suggest that you try adding more fiber and protein at lunch along with the carbohydrates to see if that will keep your blood sugar up throughout the afternoon. If this does not help, then adding a snack of protein with a small amount of carbohydrate like peanut butter crackers or string cheese and a piece of bread might help avoid the low blood sugar, but you will be adding calories that you may not be able to spend in exercise.

KS

Posted to Pills for Diabetes