Question:

From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

My 42 year old wife, who has had type 2 diabetes for about three years, has never really gotten her sugar under control, and for the last several months, her sugar is over 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] despite taking four shots a day and having no sugar. What's worse is that she has developed open seeping wounds over her chest and upper abdomen. We live in the greatest city with the best and finest medical assets but can not get an answer from her doctors.

Answer:

I can imagine how worried both your wife and you are by this. Taking four shots a day with no improvement in blood sugar would suggest that what is currently being done is not matching your wife's body and life. Have you discussed this again with her physician? If so, and no help was available, I strongly urge you to get a second or third opinion. I would also suggest that you seek the assistance from a diabetes educator who can help your wife learn carbohydrate awareness and how to match rapid acting insulin to the carbs she chooses to eat. The myth about not eating sugar has really never been helpful. Many sugarfree foods contain a large portion of carbohydrates, and these need insulin to cover them.

If you do not know of a diabetes educator, you can call 1-800 TEAM UP 4 for a list in your area. I recommend you ask them if they are able to help with carbohydrate counting and insulin matching before you make the appointment.

With the right match of insulin to food and life in general, blood sugar management is possible. It will not be perfect, because we have imperfect tools, but it is possible to reach target blood sugar ranges without giving up enjoyment of all foods and a good life too.

KS