Question:

From Gilbert, Arizona, USA:

I am 62 years old, and have had type 2 diabetes for the nearly 20 years. I am on oral medication, I walk three to four miles every day, and I am leading an almost normal life with no complications. My blood sugar ranges from 90 to 148 mg/dl [5 to 8.2 mmol/L] fasting and from 150 to 220 mg/dl [8.3 to 12.2 mmol/L] two hours after meals. Are these alarming figures? What should be the reasonably okay?

Answer:

The American Diabetes Association has recommended for several years that fasting blood sugars be in a range of less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L], while after eating blood sugars be less than 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L]. Your blood sugars are in this range and that's a wonderful thing! I would encourage you to keep up the walking as that has a huge impact on blood sugar control.

KS

DTQ-20010411165803A