From Maplewood, Missouri, USA:

I am a 41 year old male and have had type 2 diabetes for about five years which has never been controlled. I was taking two different diabetes pills, but still had fasting readings of over 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L]. I injured my knee and have not able to do any aerobic type exercise. A month ago, my doctor switched me to a different pill, and now my fasting blood sugars are running at 390-450 mg/dl [21.7- 25 mmol/L]. Can this cause ketoacidosis? What can I do?

I would bet that you're not feeling very well with those high readings! At 41 years old, you could have either typeá2 or typeá1 diabetes. Have you discussed this with your doctor? A lab test for antibodies would be able to differentiate what type of diabetes you might have.

If you have type 1 diabetes, DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis] is a possibility that you would like to avoid if at all possible. Another lab test, C-peptide, would be able to measure how much insulin you are making.

Either way, you need help, and soon, to get those blood sugars down. I would urge you to speak to your physician again or seek a second opinion before things get any worse. A short trial of insulin may help break this cycle and then the pills may or may not work to maintain your blood sugars. That would depend on what type of diabetes you actually have.

[Editor's comment: You need to speak with your physician immediately as these blood sugar are dangerously high and need to be brought down. Otherwise, you are at risk for becoming severely ill and requiring hospitalization.

If you are not already doing so, you should be testing your urine for the presence of ketones. Their presence would indicate impending DKA. SS]

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA