Question:

From Oslo, Norway:

I am a 69 year old male, diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about two year ago, and I was put on Amaryl [a sulfonylurea diabetes pill]. Within a year, through hard work and a strict diet, I was able control my diabetes without tablets. Am I cured of the disease, or do I still have diabetes, however well regulated?

Answer:

Congratulations on successful management of your diabetes!

Yes, you do continue to have diabetes, it is just currently well managed on healthy eating and exercise. Diabetes is a progressive disease, so it is likely that over the next few years, you will need to add diabetes medicines in addition to what you're doing now. This is expected, it is not anything you are doing wrong or could avoid. By keeping a close watch on your blood sugars, you will know when that is necessary.

KS