Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I was originally diagnosed with type diabetes two and a half months ago, and I am on two different diabetes pills. According to my blood glucose meter, my average daily sugar level is 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L]. Am I to assume that I have achieved good if not excellent sugar levels?

Answer:

It appears that you have indeed achieved blood sugars in the target range as described by the American Diabetes Association. The average of 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L] is wonderful, especially if that includes some before and some after meal readings.

If you are not testing after meals blood sugars, I would urge you to do so. With type 2 diabetes, the biggest challenge is to make enough insulin, soon enough to cover the foods you eat. The recommended target for after meals is less than 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L]. If you are able to stay within these targets, your hemoglobin A1c should also reinforce that by being less than 1% above the top normal range.

KS