From Cumberland, Rhode Island, USA

Recently, I had gestational diabetes for the second (or possibly third) time, and my doctors suggest that I merely monitor my blood glucose post-partum instead of taking the follow-up OGTT at this time. (I have a very difficult time with this test, including an allergic reaction the most recent time). Some of my after-meal numbers seem still high to me, but my A1c remains less than 5% What numbers should I be watching for?

In your case, because you have had gestational diabetes previously, follow up must include an oral glucose tolerance test at six months after birth. In the meanwhile, you may want to check a hemoglobin A1c only to be sure it's still in the normal range.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Diagnosis and Symptoms