Question:

From Ogden, Utah, USA:

I am 13 weeks pregnant, have gestational diabetes, and was recently switched from insulin to glyburide. It seems to be working better for me. but I would like to learn more about its use and safety during pregnancy. Are you familiar with this?

Answer:

There is a recent publication in which the authors state that glyburide does not appear to cross the placenta and, therefore poses minimal risk to the fetus. However, the recommendation is for use in gestational diabetes which is usually diagnosed around 24-28 weeks gestation. This is well after organ development has occurred. If you have additional concerns, you should speak with your physician.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Family Planning for young women with diabetes. at the Diabetes Monitor. SS]

Posted to Gestational Diabetes