Question:

From Prairie Village, Kansas, USA:

Our son was just recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and we want to allow him to be as active as before, but I am noticing bruises. Is there a correlation? Should I be concerned?

Answer:

There is usually no correlation between bruising and diabetes, except for the occasional bruise you may see at an injection site. If your son has easy bruising in other areas, it likely represents normal bruising that all kids get when they play. Because of his recent new diagnosis, you may be especially sensitive to your son's health and are noticing bruising more. In more rare cases, easy bruising can represent different health problems not related to diabetes. If this easy bruising continues, you should discuss it with your son's pediatrician and have a complete physical examination done.