From Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada:

My 52 year old sister has type 1 diabetes and is having a lot of problems with itching and rashes connected with the new insulin she is taking. I have heard that synthetic insulin can cause problems in some people. Is there somewhere I can find out more information on this?

It is true that insulin can cause localized skin rashes. However, making the diagnosis probably requires seeing an allergist or dermatologist who has expertise in this area. I am not sure that just looking at the skin will make the diagnosis. It may require more formal study, such as performing skin tests where a small amount of the insulin is injected over a test area on the skin. Insulin allergies are uncommon. Therefore, it would be important to rule out other causes that can present as the rash you describe.