Question:

From Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada:

My 52 year old sister has type 1 diabetes and is having a lot of problems with itching and rashes connected with the new insulin she is taking. I have heard that synthetic insulin can cause problems in some people. Is there somewhere I can find out more information on this?

Answer:

It is true that insulin can cause localized skin rashes. However, making the diagnosis probably requires seeing an allergist or dermatologist who has expertise in this area. I am not sure that just looking at the skin will make the diagnosis. It may require more formal study, such as performing skin tests where a small amount of the insulin is injected over a test area on the skin. Insulin allergies are uncommon. Therefore, it would be important to rule out other causes that can present as the rash you describe.