From Minnesota, USA:

I am interested in information regarding dietary strategies for preventing type 1 diabetes in my 11 month old son, whose father has the disease. Specifically, I am interested in learning about the role of milk proteins.

I do not think there are any definitive studies that link the onset of type 1 diabetes to milk protein, but I know it is being looked at in the TRIGR study in Finland. We do not suggest folks limit milk because it has so many vital nutrients for young children. If you are interested to see if you child is at risk for developing type 1 diabetes, you might wish to call the DPT-1 at 800-425-8361 and get more information.