Question:

From Illinois, USA:

My 15 year old granddaughter has had type 1 diabetes since she was five years old. They are saying she now has lupus, but cannot give her the steroid treatment because of the diabetes. Is there any other treatment she can receive to help with the lupus?

Answer:

I am not an expert in lupus. I would be sure a good tertiary care center, usually university setting, is involved. Then you can be reasonably sure that the right treatment is being offered.

[Editor's comment: Steroids can be used, but will significantly increase the need for insulin. With careful monitoring, blood sugars can be controlled using this type of therapy provided that insulin doses are appropriately adjusted. SS]