Question:

From Merrimack, New Hampshire, USA:

My two and a half has had type 1 diabetes for three months, and for the past few days, he has experienced diarrhea and a decrease in appetite. My 35 year old brother (who does not have diabetes) was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. What are the symptoms of celiac disease that I should look out for? Is the onset of celiac disease sudden or gradual?

Answer:

Children with diabetes are at greater risk than the general population to get celiac disease. Abdominal pain, occasional diarrhea, and general failure to thrive are signs. I would point all this out to your son's pediatric endocrinologist. Blood tests are suggestive of the diagnosis, but a small bowel biopsy is the definitive test. Your son may need a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist.