From Merrimack, New Hampshire, USA:

My two and a half has had type 1 diabetes for three months, and for the past few days, he has experienced diarrhea and a decrease in appetite. My 35 year old brother (who does not have diabetes) was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. What are the symptoms of celiac disease that I should look out for? Is the onset of celiac disease sudden or gradual?

Children with diabetes are at greater risk than the general population to get celiac disease. Abdominal pain, occasional diarrhea, and general failure to thrive are signs. I would point all this out to your son's pediatric endocrinologist. Blood tests are suggestive of the diagnosis, but a small bowel biopsy is the definitive test. Your son may need a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist.