Question:

From Bridgend, Mid Glam, Wales, United Kingdom:

I am 14 years old, and I am worried. I have noticed that I need the toilet often, and drink a lot. I also feel sick a lot. The trouble is, I'm too afraid to tell my parents. Is there a way of testing urine for sugar without going to the doctor?

Answer:

Your clinical data might be indicative of a form of type 1 diabetes, but also of other disorders. I think in your case, you should tell your parents so that you can be seen by a doctor. In the meanwhile, you could test your urine for sugar with a strip test sold at the pharmacy.

[Editor's comment: If the urine test shows "positive" for sugar, then it's quite likely you have diabetes, and must let your parents know, so that you can have further evaluation. Of course, if the test is negative, it means you still have something wrong, and it would still be a good idea to have it checked out. WWQ]