From Tijeras, New Mexico, USA:

I am a 50 year old with type 1 diabetes for 16 years. Often after an event of insulin shock, I have severe diarrhea for several hours following the event. What causes this?

It may be that in treating your low blood sugar, you have received medication which may increase your bowel motility. For instance, glucagon is often given to individuals with severe episodes of hypoglycemia. Glucagon is known to increase bowel motility and indeed is used in performing upper GI x-rays. In addition, large amounts of glucose, if given, have the effect of pulling water with it though the gut, and may cause loose stools.