From Los Osos, California, USA:

We are planning to visit Arizona in the summer and would like some advice regarding high ambient temperatures and pump use. I've heard differing advice from simply tucking tubing under a shirt and away from the sun to keeping the pump cool with a Frio pack. How hot is hot? How do people with diabetes on pump deal with extremely high outside temperatures?

Yes, it's hot here in Arizona in the summer -- but it's a "dry heat", as they say. Just as an example, your oven is also dry heat! You can cook eggs on the pavement in summer, so insulin must be protected for extended periods of time outside. Usual temps during the day from May are over 100F, with it cooling in the early mornings to the 80-90F range by June.

Some tips that my pump patients share are:

1. Change the syringe and set every two days so the insulin is fresh.
  2. Put the pump in a cool pack inside a fanny pack for hiking or outside activities.
  3. For excess sweating, use IV prep, antiperspirant, or lots of tape to keep the set in place.
Arizona is beautiful year round and we welcome all visitors, especially those risk takers who visit us in the summer. I hope you enjoy your visit to the desert and mountains as much as we do!

Posted to Traveling and Insulin Pumps