Question:

From Camden, Arkansas, USA:

My almost nine year old daughter is experiencing significant hair loss, weight loss, fatigue, and headaches. We have heard that this could be signs of diabetes, but the doctor has done a blood test and it came out okay. Should we ask for a glucose tolerance test? Could this be diabetes?

Answer:

The most common symptoms of diabetes in children include increased urination, increased thirst, and often increased appetite but poor weight gain or even weight loss. Based on your description, diabetes would not be my first thought, and I would not pursue a glucose tolerance test based on what you have described.

Without those symptoms, then the diagnosis that comes to my mind for your daughter could include irregular thyroid levels. This is easily checked with a simple blood test. There are other possibilities, and you should have continue your on-going dialogue with your daughter's doctor.