Question:

From Genesee, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am a 60 year old woman who was diagnosed with type 2 two years ago when I went to the ER with terrific chest pains from gastritis (previous ulcerated stomach). Does this, indeed, go along with diabetes? Also, I am experiencing terrific arthritic symptoms throughout my body. Does this go along with diabetes?

Answer:

It sounds like the last two years have been challenging to you. High blood sugars over time can cause various symptoms to all parts of the body. Without more details, it is hard to assess your current diabetes status, but I would hope that your doctor has checked your hemoglobin A1c (the average blood sugar for 60-90 days), and other tests that would diagnosis the cause of your pain. I would suggest you return to your physician and have more testing done to determine what is going on.

It isn't fair to blame everything on the diabetes. These may be separate things, caused by any number of possibilities including medicine side effects. I would also like to suggest you get a diabetes educator on your team. If you do not currently have one, you can call 1-800- TEAM UP 4 for a listing in your area.

KS