Question:

From Westminster, Colorado, USA:

My six year old has type 1 diabetes, and I want to put him on an insulin pump, but his doctor is not really happy about them. He now goes to the Barbara Davis Center to be treated. I want to find another doctor for him, but I can't locate another pediatric endocrinologist. in the Denver area.

Answer:

The diabetes care team at the Barbara Davis Center have had a great deal of experience with the use of insulin pumps in young children. Before you look for a change, I think that you should ask his doctor exactly why he is against using a pump and perhaps talk it over too with the medical social worker and the nurse educator.