Question:

I have been looking for information on insulin resistance, weight gain, stress, and an endocrine disease that leads to polycystic ovarian disease. I have read a lot, but am confused as to what tests to have my doctor perform to find out if I have diabetes or insulin resistance (we do have a major history of type 2 diabetes in the family).

I have undergone major stress in the last few years and put on thirty pounds (most around the abdominal area) and nothing is working -- not diet -- not exercise. I do not know what to do, but am getting frustrated enough to start looking for drastic measures. My doctor's answer is," Well you don't have diabetes". I didn't think I did, but he does not seem to know enough to help. Can you lead me to a site that can tell me what tests need to be done and what the results look like for insulin resistance? I am running out of sources and desperately want answers.

Answer:

If you are having regular menses and have a normal glucose test, than it is unlikely that you have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. An abnormal oral glucose tolerance test can determine insulin resistance as well as overt diabetes.

Weight gain can occur for reasons other than an underlying endocrine disorder. If you are concerned about the answers you are getting from your physician, then seek out a second opinion from another doctor in your area.

DTQ-ONCEMRM20010518
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Illnesses